Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Things I will miss about living in Eugene, Oregon

I first came to this town in 2005, and through college and other experiences it's become a true second home.  But an eye to the calendar reminds me that on the 17th, I'm boarding a plane to San Diego.  From there I'm off eventually to live in South Korea for at least a year, and whether I come back to live in Eugene for an extended period again is an open question.

Over the years, Eugene has been more than just a place to live and lay about: it's offered a series of distinct blessings and pleasures to me.  I got the best part of my education here, and met the love of my life.  Different things have occupied my focus at different times, but they all made Eugene a place where I felt comfortable.

So with naught but ten short days to go, here's a list (in no particular order) of the things I will miss about living in the second largest city of our twenty seventh largest state:

  • Live music and open mic night at Cozmic Pizza.
  • Easy access to the products of the Oakshire, Ninkasi, and Widmer Brothers breweries.
  • Hiking at the Mt. Pisgah Arboretum.
  • Eating salmon and chips at Newman's Fish Market so frequently that the whole kitchen staff knows me on sight.
  • Playing bass guitar in the company of my friends.
  • Taking a nap on the couches in the EMU on campus even though I graduated in 2009.
  • Substitute teaching at Elmira High School (among others).
  • Drinking a little too much on Fridays at the Starlight Lounge with my grad school cohort.
  • Walking around in light rain without a hood on and acting like it's all good.
  • Strolling by rivers and creeks, looking for nutria and wishing they were beavers.
  • Ordering movie-themed Eggs Benedict at the Studio One Cafe.
  • Watching anime and playing video games all night with my friends.
  • Camping in the prettiest woods in the world.
  • Hanging around the Smith Family Book Store without necessarily buying anything.
  • Sitting on the porch with a gouda cheeseburger at Jiffy Market.
  • Watching hippies do strange things in public.
  • Stalking the deer who stroll nonchalantly down my street.
  • Listening to 91.1 KWAX, 89.7 KLCC, and 91.9 KRVM while driving around in my car.
  • Taking long walks with my best friend while discussing issues of great import, or just nerdy nonsense.
  • Ordering huge pizzas from Sy's and eating them with my friends until we feel like dying.
  • Filling out my music collection with visits to House of Records.
  • Feeling like a six-year-old on the rare occasions when it snows.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful memories all. And you will carry them with you wherever you go. It's a good thing you wrote them down though because some memories tend to fade as time goes by.

    At your age I was embarking on a one-year stint to be spent in Thailand courtesy of the U.S. Army. I counted myself fortunate as so many others at the time were sent to Vietnam. It turned out that year was one of the best of my adult life. Upon returning to the States I had a very different view of the world and my place in it. I don't doubt your experience in South Korea will be much the same in that respect.

    One thing I am quite sure of: you will come away having learned to speak a whole lot more Korean than I did Thai. Languages are just not my forte.

    Enjoy your time overseas. Make the most of it you can. [genqueue]

    ReplyDelete