Tuesday, February 14, 2012

St. Valentine's Day

Like many people, I never used to like this holiday.  Much like romance itself, Valentine's Day can be very cruel.  The holiday's purpose is to celebrate romantic love, which is indeed one of the best things in life.  Unfortunately, it is also turbulent and transitory.  People pass in and out of relationships all throughout the year, but Valentine's Day sticks a little heart-shaped pin on a particular day in February, as though the world of romance revolves around it.  Any time is nice to have a lover, but Valentine's Day is apparently when it really counts.

The result is our only major (secular) public holiday that categorically excludes certain people from participation, and it excludes them because they are lonely.  There's something kind of messed up about that.

But it just so happens that this year, I'm one of the lucky ones.  Yes, I'll actually be seeing someone for Valentine's Day this year! Instead of quietly bemoaning my solitude, I get to spend this singular, critical, all-important day growing closer to a girl who thinks I'm nearly as cool as I think she is.  Ordinarily I try to avoid writing sentences that convoluted, but right now my brain is too overwhelmed to rewrite it; I'm so overcome at my good fortune, I could just write "happy" over and over again and it would express my feelings about as well as anything I could ever thoughtfully compose.  In fact, I think I will do just that.

Happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy.

That's about twenty five happies worth of happy.  I don't think it's enough.

Of course, Valentine's Day isn't really that singular, critical, or all-important.  Any day ought to be good enough for romance, and I know from long experience how annoying a ridiculous holiday devoted to the exaltation of significant others can be when you don't have one.  It is hard to be concerned with all of that, however, when you're as much awash in pleasant sensations as I am.  Valentine's Day can go on being ridiculous, because I intend to be quite ridiculous myself.  I do believe that's the whole point of it.  To all my lonely friends, believe me; this is pretty great.

Anyway, since I know she's been reading this blog, I'd like to say a few things to the person who's inspired me to write such a silly post.  In the time we've spent together, you've taught me more about the possibilities of human relationships than I could ever have imagined.  You've brightened my outlook on life, and made years of lessons on maturity make sense all at once.  Right now, I feel like the best person I've ever been.

Thank you, and happy Valentine's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment