Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Blog!

Really, if you think about it, "blog" is such a disgusting word. I never feel right saying it; it sounds like the kind of thing I might say if I were still in third grade, trying to gross out some girls.

But all the same, I have yet to receive my golden scepter in the mail, conferring upon me the right to remake the English language as I see fit. I've been waiting a long time, but I'm beginning to think some unscrupulous mailman stole it, and is now using it to wreak havoc in the form of asinine neologisms.

I have digressed before I've even started.

Readers will note that, while I have posted many times since I made my resolution to post at least once a week, it hasn't exactly worked out that way. Of course, I have made a handful of good posts amidst all the dreck and nothing, and I rather like most of the dreck, too. Such is the benefit of being a blogger: complete editorial freedom, without having to worry about whether your self-indulgence is affecting either revenue or circulation, as you have neither. Wait.

Self-indulgence factor one of late has been my much delayed Europe journal, which is unfortunately being delayed one final week, for the simple reason that I cannot justify sitting down and finishing it either tonight, tomorrow, or the night after that, or the night after that. I have two papers and a web assignment due in the next three days, along with a presentation, and I need to be in school for most of the day on Wednesday and Thursday. It would be irresponsible to waste any time talking about Europe, and if there's one thing the Wave Function Junction does not, stand for, it is irresponsible behavior.

Readers familiar with my schedule may now be thinking the following: "David just got off a week-long spring break, during which he did not travel further than three miles from his apartment, had precisely one important appointment to keep, and made plain in all forms of communication that he intended to do no schoolwork. Why didn't he finish the damn journal then and be done with it?"

Well you see, it's very hard to write when your friends are sitting on your couch for days on end playing Final Fantasy XIII, quite possibly the shiniest bit of shiny I have ever seen. You try being productive after letting something that shiny into your home!

For the record, I would let it into my home again, and again.

I did get some of it done, though. About half of it, actually. It's sitting in the Blogger-Netherworld as a draft, where some hacker could easily finish it with fanciful tales of stuff and nonsense (actual hackers, please don't do this). If I read the tea leaves correctly, I don't see why I could not finally make the post some time next week. Unfortunately, my tea leaves all come pre-packaged in tea bags, which are notoriously illegible.

Speaking of incoherent bags of tea (and otherwise), it is to my great satisfaction that Health Care Reform finally passed Congress, in spite of the best efforts of the Reactionary (as opposed to Revolutionary) Tea-Partiers of America. I like to call them the "R(aotR)TPA." Back in December, after the Senate passed its bill, I said on this blog that reform was basically a done deal, one that could only be stopped by determined shinobi assassins. Let it be known, I have learned to never count my chickens: you just never know when a Republican will win a Senate race in Massachusetts.

The R(aotR)TPA now intends to punish Congress for defying the will of the people, by which they mean their own will. Democrats will likely lose seats in both houses, which is shameful, but largely unavoidable. That's just how midterm elections go, unless you're FDR. I intend to do my part, by voting for the Democrat on my ballot. I might even register in Eugene, rather than waste my vote trying to dislodge the Duncan Hunter Dynasty again. I go where I am needed.

Now it's back to work on surviving grad school, hopefully bettering myself in the process. As a bonus, I will leave you with a few items from my current reading list, to let you know the sorts of things I'll be thinking about in the coming weeks/months. Some of them are quite a doozy:

  • Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus, by Ludwig Wittgenstein
  • Either/Or, by Søren Kierkegaard
  • Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass, by Lewis Carrol
  • Charlotte Brontë: A Writer's Life, by Rebecca Fraser
  • The Road to Middle Earth: How J.R.R. Tolkien Created a New Mythology, by Tom Shippey
  • Master and Commander, by Patrick O'Brien
Should be fun, if I ever find the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment